Economic and Business Research Unit
The research niche areas of the Economic Research Unit include macroeconomic forecasting; formal retail trade sales forecasting; small and informal business research; regional economic and welfare studies; socioeconomic profiling of the South African Development Community (SADC) and growth estimates for intra-SADC trade and foreign trade prospects.
The research niche areas of the Business Research Unit include trend and structural analysis of the formal and informal business sectors.
Research focus areas
- Business development, funding instruments, public and private partnerships.
- Estimating the size of formal economy / business sector (i.e. number of South African business entities by province, turnover group, industry, gross operating surplus, employment, entrepreneurial activities and business formation and the legal status of businesses).
- Estimating the size of the informal economy / business sector.
- Projecting growth nodes for South African economy.
- Sectoral and macroeconomic modelling.
- Business trends and structural analysis.
The unit operates as a syndicated business research unit consisting of sponsor members that qualify for client specific data packaging and interpretation as well as in-house presentations and workshops.