The BMR is mandated by Unisa to conduct commissioned research and participate in research community engagement in support of Unisa’s strategic target 7 which states: “to be a financially healthy institution with a critical contribution of third stream income to revenue”. Consequently, the key focus of the BMR is to increase (a) the percentage of revenue from third stream sources and (b) revenue from research, innovation and commercialisation activities (Unisa Strategic Plan 2016 – 2030).
DEVELOPMENT, TRANSFER AND RECRUITMENT OF RESEARCH SKILLS, RE-INVESTING KNOWLEDGE AND KNOWLEDGE DEVELOPMENT AND CAPACITY BUILDING
- The BMR will actively improve mentorship, skills development and knowledge sharing.
- BMR will continue to reinvest in research knowledge.
- The BMR will continue to support employment equity.
- The BMR will ensure appointment of a competent workforce.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The BMR will create a research work environment that (i) exhibits a high work ethos, (ii) supports productive and innovative research (iii) defines individual research, staff members’ research focus and responsibilities, (iv) develops research skills and creates equal opportunities for all employees, and (v) displays a technological infrastructure that reflects professional and contemporary research norms and standards.
- The BMR will implement an effective and sustainable management, administration and financial information system.
STAKEHOLDER COMMUNICATION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
- The BMR will actively market its research products and services.
- To attain its strategic and operational goals, the BMR was also governed by the following internal committees:
- BMR Research Ethics Review Committee
- BMR Tender Committee
- BMR Publications Committee
- BMR Research Division Committees inclusive of the Household Wealth, Demographic, Economic and Behavioural and Communication Research Division Committees. These committees are also inclusive of external stakeholder representatives in support of inclusive and transparent business operations.
To reflect on the outcomes of the strategies and goals set by the BMR at the start of 2018, the remainder of this report presents an overview of the scope, outcome and impact of the research and services offered by the BMR in 2018.